Homepage Places

Kaple sv. Barbory

Chapel of St. Barbara

Václavské náměstí, 779 00, Olomouc

Basic information


The round tower with the Chapel of St. Barbara is located on a strategic site of the former Olomouc Castle. It was built as a Romanesque residential tower in the mid 12th century. It became part of the so called New castle, the seat of the Margrave, at the turn of the 12th and 13th centuries. In the 15th and 16th centuries a spiral stairway was added to the tower and new windows on the north and south side were built. After 1535 it became part of the Cathedral’s Deanery. In the mid 18th century new three floors were constructed. A private prelate Baroque chapel of St. Barbara arose on the top floor.


In the Middle Ages the tower had a conical roof, which was later replaced by a Baroque lantern dome. On top of the lantern there is a gilded metal figure of St. Barbara.


The Romanesque round tower with the Chapel of St.Barbara has been open to the public as part of the Archdiocesan Museum since 2006.

What are you looking for?